For years, many people believed chiropractic treatments were simply a method to treat back or neck pain.
And while chiropractors still help people treat those problems, chiropractic care today involves treating the patient’s overall health and taking a proactive approach to health care.
At Apponaug Chiropractic Center in Warwick, R.I., Dr. Christopher Caliri offers adjustments and other treatments to not only relieve pain, but to keep patients in good overall health. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, contact our office today and visit our spinal adjustment center.
What Are Chiropractic Adjustments?
Adjustments are chiropractic treatments in which highly-trained specialists use their hands, or small instruments, to treat spinal joints. Also known as spinal manipulation, chiropractic adjustments are used to correct structural alignment and better your body’s overall physical function. In some cases balance disc exercises or trigger point massage therapy may also be recommended.
Pain the lower back, neck and different types of headaches are among the top physical problems that send people to the chiropractor for treatment.
There are key concepts behind chiropractic care. They are:
- The body has a natural ability to heal itself.
- The structure of the human body – bones, nerves, muscles and joints — are closely linked to your ability to live a healthy life.
- Chiropractic treatment brings balance to body structure and your body’s ability to function – both of which promote self-healing.
At Apponaug Chiropractic, we meet with patients individually to discuss their medical histories and perform physical exams. In some cases, we may take x-rays to determine if other treatment is needed.
During Your Adjustment
During most chiropractic adjustments, Dr. Caliri will place your body in the right position to treat the area which is causing you problems. Typically, most patients lay face down on a chiropractic table as the chiropractor uses his hands to give sudden, but controlled, force to the affected joint. This pushes the joint beyond its usual range of motion. This can cause cracking or popping sounds as joints are moved. These are not cause for alarm and are to be expected.
Other treatments can be used in combination with adjustments. These include:
- Ice or heat therapy.
- Massage therapy. (including trigger point therapy)
- Electrical stimulation.
- Weight loss programs.
- Balance disc exercises.
After Your Adjustment
Some patients may feel some temporary minor side effects following chiropractic adjustment. These can include fatigue, headache or minor pain in the area where you received treatment.
At Apponaug, Dr. Caliri will discuss your treatment options with you, and together you will select the best course of action to resolve your physical issues.
Along with addressing specific physical problems, regular visits to Apponaug Chiropractic Center can bring other physical benefits that many patients may be unaware of.
Here are some benefits to your overall health and well-being that chiropractic care can bring:
- Better Mood: Research has indicated chiropractic care can improve your mood, often by improving your hormonal balance. Decreasing so-called bad hormones and increasing good ones like dopamine can make you feel better and more vital. Many people who suffer from depression or anxiety issues can benefit from chiropractic care.
- Better Overall Health: Studies have found that people who undergo chiropractic care often achieve stronger immune systems than those who do not.
- Improved Sleep: Millions of Americans have chronic sleep problems. Others have trouble sleeping periodically. Studies show that you need the proper amount of sleep to remain healthy. Chiropractic care helps improve sleep patterns, in adults and kids.
- Increased Vitality: Patients who have been receiving chiropractic care on a regular basis can testify that the treatments have boosted their energy levels and decreased feelings of fatigue.
- Decreased Pain: If your spine is left misaligned following an injury or accident, you can bet you will feel it in the form of pain. Chiropractic adjustments address that pain through non-invasive procedures that don’t require hospital stays.
Many people turn to prescription pain medication to find relief. And while pain relievers, both prescription and over-the-counter products, may temporarily relieve pain, they do not address the underlying cause of your pain.
That’s what chiropractors do best: Find the root cause of your pain and treat it. If you are in need of a chiropractic adjustment, or just want to learn more about how chiropractic care can help improve your life, contact Apponaug Chiropractic Center today. Dr Caliri is a top-rated chiropractor in RI serving Warwick and Apponaug.
We’re ready to help you begin down the path toward a healthier and pain-free life.