Many people visit a chiropractor when they have pain in their back or neck, or if they have been referred by their doctor for help after a sports injury or an automobile accident. However, there are many more reasons to see a chiropractor for overall good health.
• Pain relief is the most common reason, and it may not only be back pain. Headaches and migraines may occur because of pressure on nerves. When a chiropractor performs adjustments to remove this pressure, your body functions better. As a result, your headache may dissipate or completely disappear.
• Numbness or tingling in an extremity is another example of pressure on nerves. Rather than masking these symptoms, chiropractic care may be able to remove the pressure, allowing the tingling to stop and a normal feeling to be regained.
• Many women find relief for ailments that are common during pregnancy. Along with back pain relief, they also get relief from circulation problems and heartburn. Research shows that many women who regularly see a chiropractor during pregnancy have less painful and shorter deliveries.
• Other women’s issues that benefit from chiropractic care are menstrual problems and infertility. Not only is menstrual pain reduced, but also cycles may become normalized. Older women have also found relief from menopausal symptoms. This is one reason that 80 percent of chiropractic patients are women.
• Chiropractic care is also effective for allergies and other respiratory and sinus issues. Your immune system relies on your central nervous system to fight off infections that may be caused by allergens. Since chiropractic care helps to maintain the flow of communication from the central nervous system to the rest of the body, chiropractic patients often have reduced symptoms from seasonal allergies and don’t require over-the-counter medicines.
• Children benefit from chiropractic adjustments to their central nervous system. While chiropractic does not diagnose or treat ear infections, asthma, colic, acid reflux, ADHD or ADD, it has had a positive impact on these conditions because it helps to remove interferences in the central nervous system, allowing the body to function better.
• Stress is a major problem for many people and can cause many other problems, such as high blood pressure and chronic tension in the shoulders and neck. Chiropractors may use their hands or special chiropractic tools to massage your soft tissue and break the tension in your body.
• If you have a condition such as a herniated disk and are being told that you need surgery, it may not be the case. It is worth looking into chiropractic care first to get corrective treatment and possibly avoid surgery.
The reason chiropractic care is so effective for many different ailments is that it affects the central nervous system, allowing the body to function better and heal itself. You don’t have to wait until you are suffering from chronic pain or are in an automobile accident to get the full benefits that seeing a chiropractor can provide.
At Apponaug Chiropractic Center in Warwick, we will be happy to assess your condition and help you determine how chiropractic care can benefit you. Contact us today to schedule your appointment to learn more.